Sunday, April 12, 2009

First Jewelry Project: Mary of Burgundy beaded necklace


Mary of Burgundy is definitely an inspiration. I love her style and the fact that her fashion sense is so outrageous while still hinting at ladylike reservation. One of her decorations from the portraits I have collected of her is a simple beaded necklace of black and white seed beads. Since she is a Duchess, I assume the beads would either be jet and pale jade, or more likely, glass beads made by hand. While I am not set up for lampwork, I thought achieving this necklace would still be fairly easy to achieve.

For the past three weeks, Ive been collecting packages of opaque white beads and black beads, all in the 'E' size and shape. They are all glass beads, tho I did find jet and white shell, but they weren't quite right, as they were perfectly round in shape and a bit too big. I found the black beads at Hancock fabrics (which from here on out, Ill be avoiding at all costs if I can help it as their employees are rude as hell) and the white opaque at JoAnns. I decided to use strong beading wire rather than a string so that it wont fall apart easily, and sealed the necklace using crimp beads. I will seal it further with a clear craft glue once I restock up.

The picture of the necklace alone isnt actually my necklace, but you get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment