Thursday, November 25, 2010

Previous Work - Bronwyn's Device and Rose

The person I credit for getting me interested in stained glass at all is the lovely and gracious Lady Bronwyn McKay Kellogg. She was working on a project for a friend, and wanted to etch a glass goblet. She brought me with her to a place called Blue Dolphin Stained Glass in Lemon Grove, CA, and at first sight of the beautiful shop filled with stained glass and bright glass and shining bevels, I think I fell in love.

I immediately took a class on how to do stained glass, and I learned both copper foil and leads. My first panel, a small picture of a koi fish in a pond, was given to a lady named Mary. My second project was the heraldic device of my then knight, Sir Guillaume de la Belgique. I enjoyed it so much, I went on a bit of a spree and started creating heraldic devices for all of my friends. The one below was for Bronwyn. The glass is Baroque Streaky, and I used copper foil to execute it. The small rose suncatcher was my first attempt at working with mirror as a medium, and it went pretty well.

I still have the cartoon of this rose, and think it might be fun to make a few as gifts, maybe for the queen or perhaps as largesse for out-of-kingdom royals at Gulf War.


No comments:

Post a Comment